Redundancy in language

By panda_eyed
What is it with people who say 'So he turned around and said ...'?! If he physically turned around and said something, then fair enough, otherwise, don't say it! It annoys me immensely. As does when people pronounce the words 'sort of' as 'suttuv' and inject it unnessarily often in speech, i.e. ' It was round, suttuv, and large'. Arghh! Say it properly, when needed, or not at all!

I'm a bit of a grump today. I didn't get very much sleep because my legs were aching and restless and it was so cold this morning. I also hate being a girl. And my colleagues in the office. One in particular actually, but I'll tell you about that one another time.

What, in language, annoys you?
 

11 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 4:43 pm, November 01, 2006
    I feel that you and I share the same problem of hating our work colleagues! I am in full sympathy of you.

    And the only thin that really annoys me is actually the fact that I constantly say 'like', "It was like, really big" rather than just saying "it was really big". The more I try not to do it, the more I seem to say it!!
  2. panda_eyed 4:49 pm, November 01, 2006
    Benny, thanks.. I'm not a huge fan of Pink's..

    Tabitha, lol, I'm a hypocrite because I do the same. Its just that those two examples annoy me a LOT, especially today when I'm in the grumps.
    And Nghhhhhh colleagues.. :)
  3. Seema 5:30 pm, November 01, 2006
    Gumpy, Grumpy, Grumpy...hehehehee! You're funny when you're grumpy! Someone I work with always begins saying something with the phrase "I'm not being funny, but..." Now I'm not being funny but if she says that again I may explode!
  4. Anonymous 9:18 pm, November 01, 2006
    I know a guy who says "Nip it in the BUTT" when the proper saying is "Nip it in the BUD"
    Every time he say's it I just want to scream:
    BUD... IT'S BUD NOT BUTT!!!!!!!!
  5. Anonymous 10:01 am, November 02, 2006
    I have the grumps SO often so I know where you're coming from.x
  6. panda_eyed 10:17 am, November 02, 2006
    Simba, I yam not funny when grumpy! *sulks* Okay, I'm still a bit grumpy today I guess. Joint pains like an old woman :|
    That was a good one though - I hate that one too :)

    LOL Yummymum! That would annoy me too. I especially hate it when people say 'arks' instead of 'ask'. ARGHH!!
  7. panda_eyed 10:43 am, November 02, 2006
    Tabitha, I am a grumpy one, especially in the mornings. I wasn't one of those born with a naturally sunny temperament, so I have to work at it! The more you smile, the easier it is to smile though, and a few giggles always make me feel better :)
  8. Anonymous 11:03 am, November 02, 2006
    I shall have to try that then Sweetie. Unfortunately I just don't have anything/one that will make me smile when I get to work. Will I look crazy if I start just laughing to myself? ;) xx
  9. Anonymous 1:07 pm, November 02, 2006
    Aw Chickie!
    Hm, this time I don't share the dislike, but I did when I was at the picture library. Funny, that.

    I get loads of annoying repetitive language quirks in the interviews: Obviously, at the end of the day, I think, in my opinion, sort of, kind of, clearly.

    Or mixing up grammatical agreements like tense, number, etc. Or starting 5 sentences before settling on a whole one. Or completing 3/4 of a sentence and letting it hang, and moving on to the next point. It is an interview, don't assume we can fill in the blanks, even if we can!
  10. panda_eyed 2:04 pm, November 02, 2006
    Tabi, just keep smiling, lovely - look :D

    Livvy, you come across lots in your job. It must be tough to interpret spoken language into formal written text sometimes. Ooh, I came across one whilst watching Torchwood last night: 'Should of'. Should HAVE, people, should HAVE!!!
  11. Olivia 10:48 pm, November 02, 2006
    Waaaaa, I hate "should of". I also hate job ads that say "highly sort after job".

    Sort?

Something to say?