National Poetry Day

By panda_eyed
I've been impressed by the beautiful poetry on everyone's blogs today, in honour of National Poetry Day. In particular, Feather's poem about her mother touched me a great deal. So I dedicate this poem that I wrote a few years ago to her. I imagine this would be the kind of thing Feather's mum would say to her, if she could.

Guardian Angel

I watch over you like a guardian angel
You sleep, blissfully unaware that I’m here
Even in your sleep you touch my heart
Nothings changed

I sweep a strand of hair from your face
You stir but do not wake
Deep in your dream, you smile
I smile to see it

I wonder what you’re dreaming about
I long to see what you see
With a finger I trace the outline of your mouth
And gently kiss your eyes

The sun comes out from behind a cloud
Illuminating your perfect features
You open one eye
And then the other

I watch as you lay there in bed
You reach over and pick up a frame
A photo of you and me
You run your fingers over the image

I see a tear course its way down your cheek
You wipe it angrily away
I wish I could find some way to tell you
I’m here with you still

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
And this is one by Jacques Prevert that I love, even though it makes me a bit tearful:

Dejeuner du matin
Il a mis le cafe
Dans la tasse
Il a mis le lait
Dans la tasse de cafe
Il a mis le sucre
Dans le cafe au lait
Avec le petit cuiller
Il a tourne
Il a bu le cafe au lait
Et il a repose la tasse
Sans me parler
Il a allume
une cigarette
Il a fait des ronds
Avec la fumee
Il a mis le cendres
Dans le cendrier
Sans me parler
Sans me regarder
Il s’est leve
Il a mis
Son chapeau sur sa tete
Il a mis
Son manteau de pluie
Parce qu’il pleuvait
Et il est parti
Sous la pluie
Sans une parole
Sans me regarder
Et moi j’ai pris
Mon tete dans ma main
Et j’ai pleure.
 

14 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 10:27 pm, October 05, 2006
    Oh that second one is heartbreaking - the death of a relationship...
  2. Anonymous 11:56 pm, October 05, 2006
    I love your angel poem! Beautifully written and with such love.
  3. Anonymous 8:40 am, October 06, 2006
    Lovely entry Panda. I can certainly relate to the first one. My French is very rusty but I get the feel of the second one.
    It's been great how varid all the entries have been.
    I'll add this as a linked mention to my own entry.
  4. Anonymous 1:12 pm, October 06, 2006
    I know it was Thursday, but i am going to have to do Poetry Day this weekend :P
    And read this properly when I get home....
  5. panda_eyed 4:03 pm, October 06, 2006
    Katja, I know, I love it, breaks my heart every time!

    Aww thanks Nikki, aren't you a sweetheart! :)

    Thanks Flighty. I thought it was a different perspective to write from. I really like everyone's poems for NPD, they're all great. And who knew there were so many poets around?! :) Thanks for the mention too!

    Livvy, that's okay, we'll extend it to National Poetry Weekend, just for you! Hope work is fun and less quiet this friday! x
  6. Olivia 10:38 pm, October 06, 2006
    awww boohoo...

    sans me parler
    sans une parole
    sans me regarder

    I would pleure too if I were her!

    As Katja says, it is indeed a death.

    Now, your poem is gorgeous. My fave bit is where you kiss her eyes.

    I am going to see my Mum next week!!!!!! I will get hugs!!!!!
  7. michelle 6:26 pm, October 07, 2006
    I agree with Nikki, the angel poem is lovely
  8. Anonymous 10:01 pm, October 07, 2006
    Livvy, yay! Where's your mummy, in the UK, or are you going abroad? Yay for hugs!

    JL, Thanks! Hope all is well and isn't too hectic! xxx
  9. Olivia 1:22 pm, October 08, 2006
    Pandzer - I see you are getting creative with your name!

    My mum is in Spain for the week, but on her way back home she stops in London for 4 days.

    Anyway, I am all caught up with the poetry now. :)
  10. michelle 8:52 pm, October 08, 2006
    the poetry was lovely, are you going to blog about all the stuff you bought?
  11. michelle 8:57 pm, October 08, 2006
    and I am bored, I have finished all my design projects...now they only give me one to do at a time...I had all my september assgn done in one week and got A's on all of them! I allready have my Graphic Mid term completed- its a tshirt design and the dot assgn as well...I also have project 5 and 6 of the October Assgn completed...a name realation and a street sign.

    I did a duck crossing...

    apperenty being able to design a A Grade design project in one day makes the other students feel crap.

    but thats just me, I'm also pretty conceptual as well with my Assgn's...the teachers like that.
  12. michelle 9:00 pm, October 08, 2006
    http://web.mac.com/michellegosse/iWeb/MichelleGosse/Welcome.html
  13. Anonymous 4:53 am, October 11, 2006
    I know I am (very) late but lovely entry Panda.
    xo
  14. Anonymous 1:56 pm, October 11, 2006
    Livsy, yus I am!
    You'll get lots of mumsy tuddles, I'm sure. Hope you enjoy her visit!

    JL, I might blog some photos later, if you're very lucky ;)
    I had a look at your page, and your projects - they're very good! I esp like the duck one. Don't burn yourself out now, y'hear??

    Youngmummy, thank you sweetie! Better late than never! :) x

Something to say?