'The world is my oyster' and 'Drink milk everyday'

By panda_eyed
Hello all you lovely bloggers, long time no see! I hope you're all well and still as beautiful as ever, I have missed you all! Mwah! -Warning, this is a long entry today-

The Masters decision

Thanks for your support on the Masters. It was a big decision to make, and I almost burst a vein thinking about it, but I've made my mind up, and it's surprisingly simple. I'm going to defer for a year.

You guys are right of course, that, yes, I have a fear of failure, fear of the unknown, cold feet, etc., but since they offered me the post, apart from being happy that I was accepted, I haven't actually felt comfortable in knowing that I am doing the right thing. Maybe it is for the reasons above, maybe it's becauseI have doubts as to whether this is the right course for me, maybe it's because I'm not sure if I'll do so well in a course where my motivation is hating my current job. But like you all said, I'll regret it if I don't take this chance, and that's why I'm defering. Waking up every morning to go to work since making this decision, I do dread it, and think, 'God I should have just taken the Masters'. But mostly? Mostly, I'm kinda relieved. I think deep down, I'm just not ready to study again.

So I have a year. A year in which I can explore other options - perhaps find a different job which I enjoy, perhaps look into more suitable Masters courses, even do some evening classes in creative writing or journalism. But this will be my year. I will use it to explore dreams that I didn't think possible. And if in this year, I achieve nothing else, I'll go and do the Masters next year.


So I'm feeling happier and very optimistic right now. The world is my oyster and I can do whatever I set my heart on. Of course, I know it's not that simple, but indulge me :)

The weekend

Seema and I went to Langley Park on Saturday, for a picnic and walkies. We dropped in a nearby farm to pick our own veggies for dinner. The season is almost over and we picked some small sweetcorn, shrivelled cougettes and squidgy plums, before discovering that they had better specimens in their farm shop, lol. Still it was fun. I completely ruined my shoes but never mind. We got lost in the woods (very scary) and ended up walking much further than we bargained for. All good fun though, lots of giggles and gossip.

Saturday night, I came home to find some family friends visiting with their son. I used to have the biggest crush on him when I was in my early teens and I hoped he might still be quite cute. How wrong could I have been? He had long girly hair which he kept swishing and messing up, he was wearing an old man's baggy cardy, and my god, he should have gone to Specsavers. I had a good old giggle after he left, teehee..

Sunday

I got a call on sunday morning - my caller display read 'Seema' and I answered the phone in a silly accent, like we do sometimes. Mortified when it wasn't her.. Even worse, it was one of her colleagues, to say that she had been in a car accident and was being treated for head injuries at the hospital, and could I come down?

To say I was panicked would have been an understatement. I knew I had to get there as soon as possible, if only so that she wouldn't feel alone and unsupported, but at the same time, it was hard trying to calm myself so that I wouldn't end up killing myself by driving like a lunatic. I didn't have to worry though, because on the way there, I found myself trailing a learner motorcyclist, who would not go above 25 mph on a 60 mph road. Can you imagine my frustration?? Then, on eventually arriving, I waited 25 mins for the dim receptionist to locate the patient ("I'm sorry, I can't help you"), and by then, I was hopping with anxiety.

The poor thing looked like an extra in Casualty when I found her, bloody and bruised, swollen and in shock, even though she had already been 'cleaned up' by the nurses. I was scared to touch her, in case I hurt her even more.

It was nothing short of a miracle. She had been crossing a busy road and hadn't seen the car coming. It hit her in the hip, sent her flying through the air and she pretty much landed on her face. Miraculously, apart from scraping off most of the skin on the left side of her face, hands and legs, some bad bruising and the worst headache, she was fine. No fractures, no broken bones, nothing more serious than concussion and nothing that won't heal with time. Upon asking her why, on such an impact, her injuries weren't more serious, she shrugged and replied "I drink milk everyday".

So there you have it people - drink lots of milk and keep your bones healthy and strong! I think we should recommend eating lots of carrots too, so that you see cars coming when crossing the road (ain't that right S? :) I'm so thankful that she wasn't more badly hurt and thankful that it wasn't a lorry or a death-mobile 4x4 that hit her. I'd like to make an appeal and say - don't buy a 4x4! Not only are they THREE times more likely to kill if they hit someone (especially a child), but they are bad for the environment too.

Anyway, I'm off to visit your blogs now, so keep safe and drink up your milk, like good girls and boys. See you soon xx
 

29 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 3:10 pm, September 27, 2006
    Before I run off to the supermarket to buy milk, I'll just let you know that as long as you feel at peace, then you made the best decision regarding the masters. And that seems to be the case !!

    *runs off to buy milk at Tescos*
  2. panda_eyed 3:52 pm, September 27, 2006
    Lol, drink up quick! Thanks Boso! x
  3. Anonymous 4:13 pm, September 27, 2006
    Babe i think that taking a year out is very sensible. I know that you must of brust a vein.. lol.. but it is the right decision to make. And now you have a whole year for that vein to pop on your fore head..
  4. panda_eyed 4:15 pm, September 27, 2006
    Thanks Sunny, I feel so much better having made this decision, so I know it's the right one. Now what to do about this vein.. :)
  5. michelle 5:44 pm, September 27, 2006
    omg, your poor friend! I hope she is well.

    I can't upload to blogger anymore because it will not accept my mac files

    :(

    so go to my mac site...the link is on my vlog.
  6. Anonymous 5:50 pm, September 27, 2006
    I'm so glad Seema is okay. But healing from those scrapes will take some time. And about your postponement - I didn't know that was an option! Well. I think it's a good decision based on your current feelings. When you're that apprehensive about signing up, it must point to something. Big hugs, friend, and send Seema my love.
  7. Anonymous 5:51 pm, September 27, 2006
    p.s., I'm slightly lactose intolerant. Or maybe I just don't like to drink milk. So I'll just keep taking my calcium pills and eating my yogurt, 'kay?
  8. panda_eyed 5:57 pm, September 27, 2006
    JL, she's slowly recovering. I'll pass on your concern, thanks :) What's your mac site? I don't have the URL.

    Nikki, it sure will. Thanks from me and Seema!
    I didn't know defering was an option either, but apparently it's okay, so I'm glad!
    I'm ever so slightly lactose intolerant too, so 'kay, I understand :) I can't have full fat milk or too much cream. Thankfully, chocolate is okay - I will just keep eating that.. does that count..? :)
  9. Anonymous 9:03 pm, September 27, 2006
    Oh my goodness! What a busy week you've had! And you know what? I just drank some milk!

    Good idea with the Masters and if you're happy with that decision, then we're all happy for you honey.Xxxx
  10. panda_eyed 9:08 pm, September 27, 2006
    Hey Amy! Thanks! Keep drinking that milk, y'hear? :D
  11. Olivia 12:41 am, September 28, 2006
    You made me splutter crumbs on my computer when I got to the bit about the cardigan.

    I hope Seema gets better real soon - I've seen her round here sometimes, poor lass.

    Your vein has a whole year to go down while you go hunting for pearls.

    And as for milk. Back when I was little and didn't eat, it was the only thing keeping me alive. So I was skinny as a twig and the dentist said I had million dollar teeth. :P
  12. Anonymous 2:51 am, September 28, 2006
    You were wise to wait a year. You sould never do something if you don't have peace about it.
    Smart girl indeed :o)
    So sorry to hear about your friend, that sounds horrible.
    I did cringe a bit at the milk part as I hate milk and almost never drink it... YIKES... I guess I better avoid on coming cars hu?
  13. Anonymous 8:40 am, September 28, 2006
    You've made a sensible decision about the Masters, having had a long think about it.
    Your friend was very lucky. I hope that she makes a speedy and full recovery.
  14. panda_eyed 10:50 am, September 28, 2006
    Livvy, I had a hard time controlling my facial expressions when I saw his appearance! Even if he smartened up now, I don't think I could ever find him attractive again - that image would linger! :)
    I do hope I find a pearl.. Great way to put it! I heard that soaking pearls in milk is a good way to clean then but I don't think that's true..

    YM, thanks *blushes*. I think we're going to have to make you eat yoghurt/other dairy products/calcium tablets in that case, Missus! :) Take care k?

    Hey Flighty, thanks on both counts. She's recovering slowly but surely, and I hope she comes here later and see's all the well-wishes.
    Thanks everyone!
  15. panda_eyed 10:51 am, September 28, 2006
    Good lord, what's wrong with my spelling and punctuation??
  16. Anonymous 1:21 pm, September 28, 2006
    Hello Pandy!
    *waves*
  17. Anonymous 1:45 pm, September 28, 2006
    Hello Livvy!
    *waves back*
  18. Seema 9:45 pm, September 28, 2006
    Hi everybody, I wanna to say a big thank you to all my well wishers. I'm recovering well, just a bit scabby so am in hiding. Could scare some children at the moment....

    Hear is a link to a video that made me smile and left me with a few cracked scabs....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO04rXDTcMo
  19. Seema 9:55 pm, September 28, 2006
    To my dearest Pandy, I wanna say a HUGE thank you to you for coming to my bedside on Sunday. I've always known that I can count on you for anything and Sunday definately proved it. All those cuddles even though my face was oozing fluid. It made me think of a lil poem you wrote for me about 3yrs ago:

    When life was a struggle,
    I've always had a snuggle
    From the most special girl in the land.
    When I shed a tear,
    You've always lent an ear
    Always with a tissue to hand.

    When I needed someone to care,
    With you I would share
    Everything in my heart,
    So when you need a friend,
    I'll be there 'til the end
    No one can keep us apart.

    Thanks again and see you soon....S xxx
  20. Olivia 10:31 pm, September 28, 2006
    Aw bless ;)
  21. panda_eyed 12:24 pm, September 29, 2006
    I'd forgotten about that poem! :) Can't believe you still have it! Did I write that when you moved back to Birmingham?
    And I told you, you don't have to thank me, I'm just glad I could be there and be of some comfort. *Big huggles*!
    I love that vid btw - I want one of them! :D
  22. michelle 9:48 pm, September 29, 2006
    hey pandy, due to a heavy corseload, a possible job and figure skating I will not be blogging anymore...I will read your blog and have it handy on my bookmark bar...

    tuddles
  23. michelle 9:50 pm, September 29, 2006
    http://web.mac.com/michellegosse/iWeb/MichelleGosse/
  24. panda_eyed 10:20 am, October 04, 2006
    Hey Jia, sorry to hear you won't be blogging anymore! I know you're a busy bee and it all sounds so exciting! I wish I could figure skate..
    I'm coming to visit your page now. Take care and be a good girl xx
  25. Anonymous 12:57 pm, October 04, 2006
    Pandy - are you ok or just busy? You haven't blogged in forever ;)
  26. panda_eyed 2:47 pm, October 04, 2006
    Livvy, I been ill :( haven't been into work for a while and couldn't muster the energy to tyrn the 'puter on! I'll blog later on, at least tomorrow, promise! Mwah! xx
  27. Anonymous 5:42 pm, October 04, 2006
    OOh crikey blimey get well soon Seema and get well soon Panda! You poor thing, you mustn't overdo it, when you come to the party if you get tired at any time you can just pop upstairs and have a nap ok? Don’t feel you have to be bouncy the whole time cos I know what it's like to be shattered! Poor Pandy *BIG HEALING HUGGLES* xxxxxxxxxxxx
  28. Olivia 10:16 pm, October 04, 2006
    Oh babe!

    *TUDDLES*

    xoxoxox
  29. panda_eyed 2:09 pm, October 05, 2006
    Aww, thanks for the Huggles Diva. I'm feeling much better today, but still a bit shattered. Ooh, can't wait for party! :D

    Ta Livvy!! xx

Something to say?