OMG I got a place!

By panda_eyed
I went for an interview this morning for the Gerontology Masters, and I have a place! I should be ecstatic, but why am I not?

All of a sudden, I seem to be having doubts left, right and centre. What if this course doesn't really capture my interest? What if I struggle with social sciences (being a biomedical scientist)? What if I don't pass the course and fail and waste all that money, having left a secure job??

Straight after the interview, instead of being happy that I did well, I was just scared and depressed. I hate that I'm feeling like this - and I can't remember why I wanted to do this course in the first place. Hating work just isn't a good enough reason..

Any advice would sure be welcome right now.. I have to make up my mind by tomorrow because work want to know.. Please help.. :(
 

12 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 5:26 pm, September 20, 2006
    Congratulations honey!

    Tricky one if you aren't 100% certain though. Is this the only chance you've got to get on this course or can you defer?xx
  2. Anonymous 5:58 pm, September 20, 2006
    Is there some reason you don't want to take the course at this time? Or do you think it's just fear of failure? What's the worst thing that could happen? Perhaps you start the program, discover that it's not for you after all, and drop out (knowing what you don't want is just as valuable as knowing what you do want). Are you obligated (financially) to completing the whole thing if you sign on the dotted line now?
  3. panda_eyed 7:46 pm, September 20, 2006
    Thanks Amy. It's pretty much the only chance I have, I think. I'm still undecided - not swaying in either direction :|

    Nikki, I think maybe being scared has got something to do it with it. I haven't studied social science before. I have got enough saved up to complete the course, yes, but I really don't want to drop out half-way through, and have wasted some or all of the money for the fees..
  4. Anonymous 9:58 pm, September 20, 2006
    I say take the course. I think that you'd regret it if you don't. Consider the social science to be a challenge to look forward to.
    By the way can you email me, via my more about me page, as I've some aircraft, with winglets, pictures to send you following a comment you made on one of my recent entries.
  5. Anonymous 9:58 pm, September 20, 2006
    I say take the course. I think that you'd regret it if you don't. Consider the social science to be a challenge to look forward to.
    By the way can you email me, via my more about me page, as I've some aircraft, with winglets, pictures to send you following a comment you made on one of my recent entries.
  6. Olivia 10:07 pm, September 20, 2006
    Congrats, Pandy!

    If you got the place, go for it. Like Flighty says, you don't want regret, you don't want years of "what ifs".

    Maybe, like a new bride, you're getting cold feet - a fear of change of the status quo.

    Well, stir up the waters. In fact, JUMP RIGHT IN.

    We're all here rootin' for you!

    xxx
  7. michelle 1:00 am, September 21, 2006
    sometimes we think this way, we have to ask ourselves...is this what we want...I was really worried about Graphic design, was I good enough when I showed my prof my latest assgn and he said not only do you have many allergies you have a great mind.

    this could be a blessing or a pain in the ass...now everything I do must be brillant

    but what I mean is that, I was worried, had doubts but you don't know untill you dive into it.

    I wish u all the best
  8. Anonymous 1:22 pm, September 22, 2006
    I think you should take it. If they took you, they think you can cope with it, and I'm sure that you can. And believe me, hating your job is a perfect reason to better yourself !!
  9. Anonymous 10:07 pm, September 22, 2006
    Take it! My mummy says you should grab opportunities and if you let fear win then you lose out. I know you will be fine because you are very clever and pretty *blush* Oh! My cheeks are all warm, um, er, I have to go now....xxxx *runs away all shy*
  10. Anonymous 3:16 pm, September 25, 2006
    ugh well i think that if you have doubt you need to write a list of pro's and cons. Sojmetimes we dream and dream about things and then when there handed to us.. there not what we wanted or dreamed about at all.
    Sorry i cant be more helpful but it is a decision that you need to be comfortable with. x
  11. Anonymous 6:57 pm, September 26, 2006
    Follow your instints (SP?!?) honey. They will never steer you wrong!
  12. panda_eyed 3:51 pm, September 27, 2006
    Thanks guys, your support means so much to me :)

    Flighty, thanks for your email. I'll get back to you soon, promise xx

    Livvy, Thanks. I am in the process of buying warmer socks ;) I have to year to do so. I hope you're feeling better soon xx

    JL, I'm gonna wait a bit longer to dive in there, but thanks honey. Lol, the pressure is on you now :)

    Boso, I know. I think I could cope with it, I'm just not sure I want to right now. Hope wifey and baby are ok xx

    Henk, your mummy is a very wise and lovely lady. Thanks for the compliment *kisses Henk on his nose*

    Sunny, you're so right. I think the reality was quite different to the dream. And you're right that I need to be comfortable with my decision. I am now, thanks for your support. Hope the toe is better soon! xx

    MM, Thanks honey, that's just what I did. I know things haven't been easy for you, but I hope they're looking up now. Take care xx

Something to say?