Since I last blogged properly..

By panda_eyed

Wow it’s been a busy couple of weeks. Lots of things going on – some good, quite a bit of bad – which has left me a bit depressed. There’s some stuff going on at work which I won’t talk right now, because it’ll take too long to explain, but I’m having a bit of a crappy time. As for the rest, I’ll try and sum up as best as I can without going into too much detail, otherwise we’ll be here forever.

My grandma (from Hong Kong) stayed with us for a week. She is blind and very frail and has to have her carer with her. She is a terrible hypochondriac and all she wants to do is take pills – it doesn’t even matter what they’re for anymore. She has become increasingly forgetful now, and 10minutes later, will have forgotten that she took any pills at all, and will want to more. At one point, she was smacking and slapping her carer, accusing her of withholding her medication. How sad it is, to see loved ones grow old.

Last weekend there were 13 people (all relatives) sleeping in our house! My cousin who now lives in Japan came to visit with his family. There were 3 small children. I think I got about 3 hours sleep that night, what with all the crying and early wakage of children. I also have bruises all over my legs from playing footie with an 8 year old. Violent things, kids are.

On Monday, our car got scraped by an idiot woman who was turning right at a junction. I can normally keep my temper under control, but not when provoked. Not only did she not apologise, but she kept maintaining that she had right-of-way (how..? you were turning right!!). I was just going to take her details and move on (there’s no point assigning blame right there), but she was shouting in my ear, so I told her to ‘please be quiet’. She told me I was too rude and needed to be kept under control (what, like your driving..?) and I don’t really remember exactly what was said after that, because the red rage took over and I had a GO. Imagine that every other word was interspersed with profanity. I’m not proud of it, but it felt good at the time.

On Tuesday I went to see the Rat Pack at the Savoy Theatre. It was brill – delicious melty voices, good instrumentals and more entertaining than I expected. I was in a blissful bubble during some songs - it's funny how happy music can make you feel.

I'm going to post the rest into a new blog now - don't go anywhere - I have some very sad news :,(

 

4 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 1:52 pm, August 04, 2006
    Just before my grandma died, she was in a really terrible state, she could recognise any of us, and never seemed to realise what was going on around her. It broke my heart to see her that way, and I totally understand how you feel.
  2. panda_eyed 3:36 pm, August 04, 2006
    It's terribly sad, Boso. I'm just glad that she was able to make this trip and see all her kids, grandkids and great-grandkids one last time.
  3. Olivia 5:27 pm, August 04, 2006
    It's so hard for offspring to watch their parents turn into this, and makes caring for them nearly impossible because they know what their parents once were, and to see them now...

    About the Rat Pack: Blissful Bubble, that's nice :)
  4. panda_eyed 11:31 am, August 07, 2006
    Unfortunately, 5 out of 7 of my grandma's offspring would rather put her in a home than have to worry about looking after her. My poor gran.

Something to say?