One year on: Not Afraid

By panda_eyed
So, it’s a year to the day since the July 7 bombers wreaked havoc on our city. Last night, al Qaeda released a video of one of the deceased suicide bombers, promising more attacks. Well up yours AQ. Us Londoners may be aloof, we may consider it taboo to talk to others on public transport, think it weird when a stranger smiles or tries to engage in conversation, but when it really matters, we will pull together, as we already demonstrated this time last year.

It would be foolish to say that we aren’t scared, but we can’t, and we haven’t, let that fear take over and encroach onto our normal lives. Remember, fear is their biggest weapon. The 52 people that were killed in the bombings this time last year were such a great multi-cultural mix that is so typical of London. I hope you’ll all observe the 2 minute silence at noon today and remember them.
 

15 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 11:29 am, July 07, 2006
    *bows head*
    It is good to remember the ones that were lost and the ones that continue to live in fear. nice post girlie..

    10 sweeties awarded
  2. panda_eyed 12:11 pm, July 07, 2006
    Hey sunshine, thanks *talks with mouth full* and thanks for the sweeties!

    I had a huge panic moment for half an hour where I thought I had lost my blog - sob.. it was blank for a while and I didn't know what was going on! Bloody blogger.. I hate html.. *grumbles* I've lost all my lovely links :( I'll try and put em back later - can't be bothered right now :( am relieved though!
  3. Olivia 1:20 pm, July 07, 2006
    I did. I followed on the news and felt quite emotional. Heard Big Ben and saw everyone at the stations standing still.

    You're right, if we react with fear they will have won. They have failed if we pick up and carry straight on with life.
    It's like a child having a temper tantrum. Fuss over them and they keep going. Ignore them and they give up (usually).
  4. Olivia 1:20 pm, July 07, 2006
    Byyyyyy the way. Like your purdy new piccie!!!
  5. Anonymous 1:22 pm, July 07, 2006
    You totally rock! That was a fantastic post. And hell yes..who's scared of those crazies?! Not us that's for sure!xxx
  6. panda_eyed 1:32 pm, July 07, 2006
    Liv, I'm at work so no TV but I had a quiet moment. You're right - we have to carry on. They can only disrupt our lives if we let them. and fanx for the compliment.. *blushes*

    Thanks Amy! Hell yeah! We look 'em in the eye and kick 'em in the balls! :)
  7. Anonymous 2:10 pm, July 07, 2006
    **bows head in silence and remembers them all the 52 lost **
    you said it panda..we shall overcome the fear and divisions..we shall overcome!
  8. panda_eyed 2:22 pm, July 07, 2006
    You got it right sppadic
  9. michelle 4:55 pm, July 07, 2006
    its sad that these things happen panda...I'm going to invite u to my ringo a photo sharing site...
  10. michelle 4:55 pm, July 07, 2006
    Panda is the girl in the pic u? I love your hair
  11. panda_eyed 5:26 pm, July 07, 2006
    Ooh I love photos :) Yep that's me!
  12. michelle 12:09 pm, July 08, 2006
    panda, I don't have ur email addy
  13. michelle 12:09 pm, July 08, 2006
    and I want your hair
  14. Anonymous 3:39 pm, July 17, 2006
    This may a little late I guess, but I was 'disconnected' from the world last week, so to speak.

    I still remember July 7th well, I was working in the city at the time, in between Liverpool Street and Algate stations. The images from that day are going to be etched on my mind forever.
  15. panda_eyed 9:49 am, July 18, 2006
    Boso, I don't blame you in the slightest for being 'disconnected'. You gots a lot going on at the mo'! That was a horrid day. I'm just glad you weren't on the tube at the time xx

    And Jia - don't know how I missed those comments, but thanks! My addy is on the comments of one of your posts - titled 'Ringo' I think.

Something to say?