Are you Lost without it? Or has it Lost its edge?

By panda_eyed

Sorry, what a bad title. Anyway, the new series of Lost – what do you think?

At the end of the last series, I was SOOO gripped, I almost cried when it ended. I neeeeded to know what was going to happen. Then, a few weeks ago, when it was announced that it would be back on soon, I just didn’t feel that excited. Why?

Having heard that the cast have signed up to do 5 more series, it’s quite blatant that we’re not going to get to the bottom of things anytime soon, are we? Whilst Lost started off with a bang and kept us on the edge of our seats, for the entire 1st series, I think some of us fell off them in the wait for the 2nd.

Terminal frustration started to set in – just @#*&’ give us something, we neeeed to know!! Last week’s episode ('Orientation') with the button pushing was, frankly, yawn-inducing. Then, just when I think I’m going to give up and turn off, they put on a heart-warming episode that was just fabulous.

The message of last night’s Lost ('Everybody hates Hugo') was Hope. Overwhelming love, faith and hope. The bit that got me the most was Rose, who throughout the entire first and second series has maintained that she knew her husband had survived and was alive somewhere. Admit it, we all thought that she was in denial, clinging to the last shreds of hope. And then when Mike, Sawyer and Jin found the other survivors of the crash and it turned out that Bernard, her husband, was alive, I must confess, I shed a little tear or two.

It was a bittersweet moment when Sun buried the bottle filled with the notes of all the survivors, given to the ones who left on the raft, in order to keep the hope alive for all the others, despite knowing that she would have to keep this a secret and mourn silently for the possible loss of her husband and the other rafters. How selfless… It made my heart ache...

My fave bits:
Rose, knowing in her heart that her husband was alive, saved her chocolate bar for him (and his sweet-tooth)
Charlie and Claire and the peanut butter
The whole great big fraternal scene in front of the campfire (why, they might as well have strummed their guitars and sung cheesy songs)
Jack walking in on Kate coming out of the shower (sexual tension or what?)

That episode, cheesy as it was, made me realise what it is that I loved about Lost in the first place – not the mysteriously, nail-biting storylines, but the fact that every character has a story, a past, and are so overwhelmingly likeable. Plus, don’t you just love that ‘Whooooom’ noise just before a flashback? :)

Maybe I’m just a soppy git but I do love Lost…
 

7 comments so far.

  1. Olivia 4:56 pm, May 18, 2006
    Yes, they made us wait too long, so the curious tension we were left with after season one faded away.

    What about Rome? That ended last summer and they aren't releasing season two until next year, because they're filming now. I enjoyed Rome but I won't care by then.

    But back to Lost, I do like the sounds, I also like the flumpy sound they do just as they flash the first closing credit. I always go, "Oh nooo!" when that comes on.

    I like the flashbacks, those are what keep us hanging on because we learn about characters little by little, and sort of in the wrong order, which is so different to anytihng we've experienced on TV before that I am sure Lost will be as iconic as X-Files were in the 90s.
  2. panda_eyed 8:11 pm, May 18, 2006
    Unfortunately, I didn't watch any of Rome, though I heard that it was really good. I wish I had now!

    The flashbacks in Lost are what keep me hooked - I love learning new things about the characters - it's just like meeting a new friend and getting to know them.
  3. Olivia 8:10 pm, May 19, 2006
    Ha, meeting a new friend, that's a good way to put it.
  4. Anonymous 5:08 pm, May 22, 2006
    oh i missed it! i've not got into this sereis becasue it reminds me of my ex - looks like i missed a good one though!
  5. panda_eyed 1:56 pm, May 23, 2006
    It was a fab episode, I only hope the rest are the same! As for Lost reminding you of your ex - there's a couple of songs I can't listen to for the same reason. Damn the bastards ;)
  6. Anonymous 10:17 pm, May 26, 2006
    I'm a massive fan of Lost. Although I don't think it's fair they drag it on for 5 series, how will they keep those guys on the island for that long? I loved Rome, can't wait for the second series !!
  7. panda_eyed 2:52 pm, May 30, 2006
    I have no idea Boso - I was wondering the same thing! I think I might be bored of it by series 5 if they were still there!

Something to say?