Chocolate cake and books

Category: , , By panda_eyed
On Friday night, I got a craving for some yummy moist chocolate cake. I had all the ingredients in the cupboard, and I remembered a recipe posted by Clothide of Chocolate & Zucchini that I'd been meaning to try. I had some raspberry coulis sitting in the freezer too, which I used used inbetween the two halves of cake. The result was heavenly! Needless to say, the cake has long since disappeared :) If you love chocolate, and cake, like me, then give this recipe a try! It's so easy, honestly.

I spent yesterday sitting on the floor of the upstairs hall, clearing out a bookshelf so crammed full of books that they were sitting in piles on the floor around it, on top of it, filling every space imaginable. These were books that my sister and I had grown up reading - everything from picture books to ABC to Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl and all the children's classics - Heidi, Peter Pan, Little Women, What Katy did. I could go on, but we'd be here forever. The aim of the clear out was to give these books away or to charity, since we've long since grown out of them. But all these well-thumbed copies had so many memories on every page, that as I sat turning their pages, I couldn't bear to give them away. These were the very pages that stirred my imagination as a child and ignited my love for reading today.

I lovingly packed the classics and the ones closest to my heart in boxes which are now sitting in the attic and waiting for a day when my children can too fall in love with the words on their pages. Silly, I know, how precious some things can become to us, but these books were such a big part of my childhood, and I owe them a lot for allowing me to escape to all sorts of worlds whenever I picked one up.

I stayed up until 4am this morning, to finish reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin. And then afterwards, I couldn't sleep for thinking about it. It was such a touching story, one that made me cry, but I couldn't help but feel frustrated and angry for the waste of Pelagia's youth whilst she waited for her Captain. It felt sort of unsatisfying, not having the happy ending that you long for, but thinking about it now, if de Bernieres had given us that happily-ever-after ending, it would have been too perfect, too saccharine, and I'd probably be looking back at it in disgust right now. A bit like Harry Potter, I suppose. So, de Bernieres got it right, after all. He's a great story teller.

What should I read next, I wonder? Any recommendations?
 

10 comments so far.

  1. Olivia 9:37 pm, January 28, 2008
    Ooh I missed you in the blogs. It's not the same as email at all.

    I'm going to have to part with my beloved books soon, and I'll have nowhere to put them, so I really really do have to.

    Maybe you can borrow some before they go.

    xoxoxoxoxox
  2. Anonymous 10:38 pm, January 28, 2008
    God, I remember Enid Blyton and all those other children's classics !! I'm on the lookout for those books, I want my little girl to read them once she's old enough, I don't like the selection of children's books today !!
  3. Anonymous 2:24 am, January 29, 2008
    CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE! I do want to write something witty here but all I can think about now is caaaaaaaaaaaake! ;o) I have to go to bed in a mo and check eails tomorrow, I'm so tired but.....caaaaaaaaaaaaake! :o)

    Know whAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE BOOKS POPPET AND i AGREE WITH YOUR IDEA WHOLEHEARTEDLY! :O) OH BUM CAPS LOCK oh god I'm too shattered to change it all, just know I'm not shouting, just tired! LOL ;o)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  4. Anonymous 3:53 pm, January 29, 2008
    Chocolate cake and books sounds like heaven to me!
  5. Anonymous 6:06 pm, January 29, 2008
    Oh, I'm so glad you didn't give away your precious books. New ones will come out and even reprints of your favourites. But they won't be illustrated the same and quite often the new bindings aren't well made. So good for you. Bad for me, however, was the posting of that chocolate cake. And you even had to post the links AND a photo. You're killing me here.
  6. panda_eyed 6:44 pm, January 29, 2008
    Liv! Cute pic, btw :) Aww, I missed blogging too - didn't realise how much :)
    Oh, I wish you didn't have to give all your stuff away.. I wish you didn't have to go too.. :| Love you sweetie xxx

    Boso, *laughs at image of the big man reading Enid Blyton* :) You're so right - the classics are the best - they never grow old :) I hope your little girl enjoys them as much as you did :) xxx

    Diiiivaaa! Yay! Hehe @ poor tired you! I hope you've had a good rest since :) Ooh, I see you and the gang in a few days time! Yayyy!! Love ya! xxx

    Flighty, they are two of my very favourite things too :D xxx

    Hehe Nikki, you really ought to try it out - it's too good to be true :)
    Re. the reprints - that's what I thought too - it's an investment for the future :) xxx
  7. Anonymous 6:50 pm, January 29, 2008
    your cake looks heavenly!
  8. Olivia 11:24 pm, January 29, 2008
    Love you too, sweetie xoxo

    Were you there at Halloween? Do you remember the nasty chewy fangs and smelly brain sweets?
  9. panda_eyed 2:21 pm, January 30, 2008
    Mylozmom! Yay, you're back too, sweetie! I shall save your URL and come and have a bit of a nosey later! xxx

    Livs, I think I was there, but for some reason I don't remember the sweets.. Hmm.. too much alcohol perhaps? Hope you're feeling better soon, love! xxx
  10. Anonymous 4:15 pm, January 31, 2008
    Liv, you CAN'T part with your beloved books! That's just not nice. What can we do about this?!!

Something to say?