On Hong Kong, New Year's resolutions, Fitting room fiascoes and other fat tales

Category: By panda_eyed
I'm back! I've been back a few days now, but I think I have blogger's block, because I've come online a few times, meaning to tell you all about my trip to Hong Kong, Shen Zhen and Macau, but I've just been staring at the page, not knowing where to start or what to write. I think I might just start typing now, and see where it takes me.

Photos - I have so many, but dread having to load them, sort them, and publish them, and so have put it off. Sorry! I have got some good ones though, so will do it sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.

Flying - Guess who got upgraded to FIRST both the journeys there and back..? Hehe, they must recognise that I am a girl who will not tolerate anything less than excellence ;) . I had champagne, canapes, a full range of movies, designer food, a fully-flat bed, velvet slippers, pajamas, a duvet and a mattress! I have never slept so much on a plane! WooT! Get me! :)

New years resolutions - How many times, since I've been back, have I seen the title 'A New Year, A New You'? It's getting annoying. I tend not to make resolutions, but I'd like to try and
get rid of my spare tyre. Carry on reading, and I'll tell you why, besides starting to look like I'm wearing a float around my middle. I haven't gotten off to a good start - I bought lots of snack food back from HK, and Sainsburys have had lots of discounted seasonal produce (chocolate, biscuits, chocolate biscuits), and I haven't held back. I think I should get some tips from Youngmummy and Mylozmom..

Hong Kong Skinnies - One bad thing about going to HK is that I always feel bad about my weight. Everyone there is soooo petite and skinny, and to them, my size 12/14 (UK average, and a 'medium') must seem morbidly obese. I'm not exaggerating. I have to buy clothes in XL sizes. I say this with shame, but I am a size XXXL over there! ARGGHHH! Every girl's nightmare.

On Christmas weight gain - regular eating out, dim sum, and general yummy food in HK = baaad for weight. On returning, I jumped on the scales. They protested. I'd put on 5lbs! Strangely enough though, the next morning, before I'd had breakfast and after having taken all my clothes off and having had a wee (lol), the scales said I'd lost 5 lbs since the day - how is that?! Either clothes, food and wee weigh a LOT or I need new scales.

Doing a 'Houdini' in a fitting room - Whilst January sale shopping, I realised a new talent. I saw a pretty corset in my size, which I decided to try on, to see if it would do anything for my tummy. It was one that you pull over your head, and then zip up. I got it on fine, but then found the zip wouldn't do up, so I gave up and tried to take it off. You know what happens next..
It wouldn't budge - I would need an extra pair of hands to pull from the top. Like hell I'm going to go out there and ask the surly shop assistant. 5 minutes later, I'm contemplating cutting myself out with nail scissors, or just ripping the damn thing. Then, I find that I can wriggle it more downwards than up. Hurrah! I undid my belt, took my jeans off and extremely slowly, managed to wriggle out! I emerged from the changing rooms red, sweaty and out of breath. That was the defining moment in realising that I must shed a few pounds.

On being back - Waking up in the morning not knowing if it's day or night has been depressing. I miss being able to bask in the sunshine every morning too. I might get myself one of those UV light machines :) Still, there's no place like home, and I am glad to have my own bed, long luxurious baths, and proper English tea! It made me smile to come back and see the big bright moon in the sky - in HK, it is much smaller, and lies on it's side. I'm not kidding, the crescent moon is the shape of a sad mouth there, I have pics to prove it!

I had a good trip overall, and I realise I haven't said much about it, but I don't want to cram everything into one big post. I'm just going to take my sweet time, and you shall all have to be patient :) I'm signing off now, but I hope you all had a brilliant holiday season, and happy 2007!
 

12 comments so far.

  1. Seema 5:27 pm, January 08, 2007
    Hehehe! If only we'd been on our girly shopping trip you would have had someone to help you get out of the corset....albeit with lots of insane giggling! Mwah...

    Glad to have you back Pandy, make sure you get round to publishing your snaps! Luv ya xxxx
  2. michelle 10:21 am, January 09, 2007
    nice to see u back.

    I'm a UK 8 but when I was on mainland China I was a large!

    I went to the beach once and all the guys were staring at me, my chinese friend said, that they never seen such a small girl with big boobs...and I am not even that big!

    and after that I never ever whent to the beach.
  3. Anonymous 2:06 am, January 10, 2007
    Hey, girl, so you're back! I'm looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing about your adventures. Best wishes for your resolutions (of all sorts, not just the ones about weight!).
  4. panda_eyed 9:51 am, January 10, 2007
    S, I really wished so at the time, but had to resort to other tactics!
    STILL not loaded photos.. maybe this wkend.. hopefully :)
    Hope you're having a good week!

    Hey JL! Can't believe you're a large in China! I guess that makes me feel slightly better :) And speaking of boobs - everyone is so petite and flatchested in HK that I can't find a bra in my size over there. I also get the staring thing, especially as a collar lower than neckline is considered 'low'. :p

    Hey Nikki! Yep, Pandy in da house! :) The resolutions aren't doing so great, I have soo little will power! Hope yours are doing better!
    I'll post about my trip soon, esp about the food, cos that's what HK is really about for me :) Hope you're well! xxxx
  5. Anonymous 6:49 pm, January 11, 2007
    We need pics!
    Thanks for the lovely read and a Happy New Year to you too! xx
  6. Olivia 7:55 am, January 12, 2007
    Hey, you are back! And you might not think so, but that was a great post. Fun to read.

    It is awesome that you got upgraded, nothing better for a 12 hour flight!
    Maybe one day I will join the upgrade ranks, as I can no longer enjoy World Traveller Plus on BA.

    Hehe, even before I saw JL's comment, I knew I would be a Large in China. How exciting!
    However, I'd fit right in, maybe I need to go there to get my tiny bras.

    I did a Houdini in a changing room a couple of years ago. In Monsoon, I was trying on a size 6 dress. I got it on, found that the top was way too large, but that there was no release on the waist and I was stuck. Fortunately at the time I was well into yoga and somehow snaked my way out of it, but just like you had visions of shop assistants wielding scissors!

    Oh, I noticed the moon lies on its side in Canada too! Odd. The half moon this week was sort of chopped off at the top, which I had never seen before. Yet it looks normal in Texas and the UK. Go figure...
  7. Anonymous 11:10 am, January 12, 2007
    Hey happy new year !! I'm SO JEALOUS about your first class upgrade, that's just UNREAL.
  8. panda_eyed 5:24 pm, January 12, 2007
    Hi Feathers! I have spent most of today loading pictures. Exhausted now! An accompanying blog will follow :) Happy new yr, fluffy one xx

    Livs! Thanks sweetie, hope you're enjoying your last week in Canada. I've got my fingers crossed for you getting an upgrade on the journey back - you never know, but you have a better chance if the flight is v full.

    Omg, you know what? I just felt something scrathing my neck, and realised that I've had my jumper on back to front all day! *slaps head*
  9. panda_eyed 5:25 pm, January 12, 2007
    Boso, I am a v lucky girl, huh? I felt special :) Happy new year to you too! x
  10. Anonymous 10:42 am, January 14, 2007
    Hello Pandy! Nice to read this entry and see that you had such a good time.
    I like the new look blog as well, very pretty.
  11. Anonymous 2:36 am, January 15, 2007
    woah, new design

    !!!

    www.adventuresofmeimei.wordpress.com

    new design blog, check it out

    love Jia...

    xoxoxo
  12. Anonymous 3:53 am, January 16, 2007
    Sorry I'm late. It's so great to have you back sweetie.
    I loved that post. It sounds like you had a great trip. Any trip that starts with first class air travel is sure to be a good one :o)
    Oh and you are fantastic, don't worry one second longer about loosing weight you silly girl!!
    Can't wait to see your pic's and hear more about your trip.

Something to say?