Panda in the city

Category: By panda_eyed
Happy monday bloggers, I hope you all had a lovely weekend :) I'm back in work after a whole two weeks of being away (sickness, and then holiday), and it feels a bit strange. I seem to have forgotten where everything is, and I just can't get back into the swing of things.

I had some holiday to use up before the end of the year, so I took three days off this week, as did my best friend, and we thought we'd do lots of things around London. It's funny, I've lived in greater London all my life, but it wasn't really until I went to uni 5/6 years ago that I really started exploring the city.

On Wednesday, we went to Windsor. There were a surprising number of ducks, geese and swans in the river - I don't know why, but I thought there'd be much fewer - don't geese and swans migrate? We took a stroll down the river and did some shopping. Windsor has an open air ice rink, and feeling adventurous, we took a skate. Froze our bums off, but it was fun :)

We thought we'd take in some history on Thursday, and visited the British museum. We spent a good four hours wondering about in there, barely even covering half of it. I was especially intrigued by the artifacts from Asia. Last time I was there, I was a bit too young to appreciate them. I was surprised to see that religious symbols/idols from India, China, Thailand, Indonesia and other south east asian countries are so similar, despite being from different religions.

When our feet started to ache, we went for a 3-course dinner at Auberge. I had calamars - squid in tomato, garlic and black olive sauce for starter, then moules Thailandaise (mussels in coconut, lemon grass and thai curry spices) for a main. Should have known better than to order a Thai-style dish in a French restaurant, really - it was too heavily spiced with lemongrass, and hence, a bit bitter. Dessert though - Mmm.. We ordered profiteroles in a dark chocolate sauce and creme brulee with amaretto to share between us, and though I was so full I almost couldn't manage it, it was fabulous!

We got up early on Friday morning to go to the Petticoat Lane markets. I guess the market stall holders wanted a lie in, because at 12 in the afternoon, they still hadn't all set up! Still, we got some pretty pashminas from there. Then we trundled down the road to the new and old Spitalfields markets, which was heaving with delightful little stalls full of quaint and quirky things. I bought lots of pretty earrings, and even some christmas presents. They have some fantastic food stalls there (a bit like the famous Borough Market, although not as busy) and we had a lovely inexpensive Thai lunch (yes, Thai again :p), and found a stall that does the BEST chocolate brownies in London - yum!

As the day was still relatively young, we hopped on the tube to Camden Town, and more markets. I wanted to buy a hat, and tried on several, but they all made my little head look huge (why is that?). I got some more christmas pressies here, but can't say what they are yet :P.

I was so exhausted after those three days that I slept 12 hours on Friday night, and spent all of Saturday vegging and recuperating. A girl needs her rest, y'know. A good thing I did, because last night, we went to see Joe in the Brixton Academy, standing for a good 5 or 6 hours. It was worth it though, he was amazing, even though he only played for less than an hour. The girls were going c-ra-zy! I got home rather late last night, and so a bit tired today.

All in all, it's been a fantastic few days, and I have enjoyed it. I love that you're never short of things to do in London. So that was my weekend. How was yours?

*BTW, I have pics, but I shall add them to this post later this evening!*
 

12 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 4:16 pm, December 11, 2006
    I would love to go to Camdem Town and to the markets. A friend has been and she said it is totally amazing. Especially for us out of town hicks who have nothing really similar in our area.
    I am sorry I haven't visited for a while. Sorry to hear you have been sick but hopefully you are fully fit now.
    The only down side of holidays is having to go back to work! xxx
  2. Anonymous 11:26 pm, December 11, 2006
    It's funny, Windsor is just round the corner from us, but we've never been there. I keep saying we should go....
  3. Anonymous 3:57 am, December 12, 2006
    creme brulee... YUMMMMMMY *drools*
    Glad you enjoyed yourself honey. Freezing your bum off is always fun ;o)
  4. Anonymous 10:27 am, December 12, 2006
    I love wandering around the British Museum. But your right it does take a lot of time going around so you have to have something in mind when you go there. Did you take any pictures.
  5. michelle 10:49 am, December 12, 2006
    oooh sounds like a nice time
  6. Olivia 10:05 pm, December 12, 2006
    Oh! Oh! I'm so near to Camden market and have been meaning to go back for months! I also like Spitalfields market. I know if I went to either, I'd spend too much money.

    But, alas, it is too easy for me to trawl the shops after work than it is to drag my butt out of bed on a Saturday.
  7. Olivia 10:07 pm, December 12, 2006
    P.S. I forgot these: xxx
  8. Anonymous 11:16 am, December 13, 2006
    I meant to comment..but then forgot..or did compose a message saying how it was awful that..wait..I think I'm thinking about an email I sent you..ahem..so..erm..it sounds like alot of fun..I'm not looking forward to going back to work next week though thankfully it'll only be for a week and then another break. Hurrah.xxxx
  9. Anonymous 11:50 am, December 13, 2006
    tabs i wish i was off work now!
  10. panda_eyed 4:01 pm, December 13, 2006
    Feathers, hello sweetie! You would love the markets! Could make a day (or two trip, perhaps with Lil feather? Don't worry about not visiting, I haven't been around much either, and it's a quiet time of year.

    Boso, you should, it's lovely. Baby O would love the duckies! Mrs Boso would love the shopping ;)

    YummyM, it was heavenly! I wish I could send you some :)
    I'm just glad I didn't fall on my freezing bum!

    Fabulous, welcome to blogger :) I did take pics, but I haven't managed to put them up yet, part laziness, partly my sis hogging the computer! I think I'll have to go back to the British musuem and finish the rest off!
  11. panda_eyed 4:05 pm, December 13, 2006
    Jia, it was a lovely time! I'm so glad it's not colder than it is! :)

    Livs, the markets are awesome! I would have spent so much money there, but had to stop myself. I only wish I lived closer so I could go back more often!
    Thanks for the xxxs! xxx back! hehe..

    Tabs sweets, lol, what? Hehe, hope you're having fun relaxing whilst the rest of us slave away.. tuh.. :) Have fun lovely!

    Fab, don't we all :)
  12. Olivia 11:53 pm, December 13, 2006
    Tab20 - I do that all the time - revisit a blog and then wonder what the hey happened to the comment I thought I had left!
    xxx

Something to say?