Panda's day at the beach

By panda_eyed
On Thursday, I took a much deserved day off and went to Brighton. Summer really is over - there were about 3 people on the beach! It was a breezy day and grey at first, but the sun came out at intervals and warmed us up. We sat on the pebble beach and threw stones at the sea. The waves tried their hardest to reach our feet. We ate fish and chips and had icecream, just like you're supposed to do on a British beach. It didn't really matter that I had to wear a scarf and a cardy!

Then on to the cliffs at Beachy Head. Words can't accurately describe the beauty of the place. Pictures don't do it justice either. Standing on the edge of a cliff, with the wind blowing in your hair, you can see miles and miles of blue sea. Big inky clouds loomed overhead and threatened to rain but the sun broke through and shone its rays upon parts of the sea, lighting it up. It was so beautiful.

It's times like that which make you realise how small and insignificant you really are. The vast expanse of the sea always has a calming effect on me. I can gaze at it for hours.

Apparently, Beachy Head is a place where many people go to commit suicide. I can sort of understand why. It looks and feels like the gateway to heaven here. The edge of the cliffs was littered with memorial plaques and flowers. Sad huh?

It wasn't too windy on the day we went, but to demonstrate how windy it can get up there - look*! The trees all grow in one direction, and permanently look like a ferocious wind is bending them back - this shot was in fact taken when there was no wind whatsoever. It made me giggle!

*I can't seem to add photos anymore - blogger is being annoying, so have linked to Flickr
 

11 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 9:46 pm, August 26, 2006
    It sounds like you had a good day out. I'm sure that summer isn't over yet!
    I like your photos.
    Nikkipolani had a similar day out to you. Have a look at her blog entry but be warned you may feel a tiny bit envious!
  2. Anonymous 1:57 pm, August 28, 2006
    great pics indeed..ahh the vast expanse of the sea...we are truly insignificant..its even scarier when u think that 6 and a bit billion people live on 1/3rd of the whole planet..wow!
  3. Anonymous 9:59 am, August 29, 2006
    Yeah, I've heard about Beachy Head, the famous suicide destination. Never been to Brighton though.
  4. Anonymous 12:35 pm, August 29, 2006
    oh! you've made me want to go! i love Brighton in the rain, you kind of get it all to yourself!
  5. Anonymous 2:05 pm, August 29, 2006
    Now why didnt my post about going to Brighton for the day end up like yours?..
    Hummm. I love Brighton. So much to do and see. Bet it was nice that it wasnt to packed.
  6. Anonymous 2:42 pm, August 29, 2006
    We had a lovely sunny weekend but I think the end is nigh. Fingers crossed for an Indian Summer! lol
    Your pics are great and your descriptions are inviting. I haven't done much mooching down south. Up untill last year all I had seen of London was Victoria coach station at 3am! lol (I was a hostess on the coaches....a hostess that served tea and coffee...lol)
    Didn't someone from Eastenders commit suicide there. The original Mark Fowler? I may have my facts in a fuddle though... :) xx
  7. Anonymous 2:44 pm, August 29, 2006
    It looks lovely Panda. I bet you had a great time.
    I love the pic on flicker that shows the "sideways" tree. You would think it was taken during a major wind storm. LOL
    Too funny!
    Hope your keeping well honey!
  8. panda_eyed 3:13 pm, August 29, 2006
    Hello Flighty, it does feel like summer is over, doesn't it? I had a look at Nikki's and was so very jealous! We don't get sunshine like that over her too often!

    Sppadic, I know, and it's growing too! :S

    Boso, both are lovely. You should take the wife and sprog in a few years time, I'm sure they'll love it!

    Sammy, it was a bit ghost-towny, but it was nice. I hadn't been since I was 5, and I felt like a kid again :)

    Feather, I think autumn is here already! You must come down south and have a bit more of a 'mooch' :) I must do the same and mooch 'oop north' actually! Heehee..
    Yep, the original Mark F did commit suicide there, I'm told.

    Hey YummyM, I had a lovely time. The trees and bushes did keep me amused! I took picture after picture - quite silly aren't I? I hope you're well too! xx
  9. Anonymous 4:33 pm, August 29, 2006
    Panda, I just love those moody shots you have of the sunlight breaking through the clouds. We sometimes get that look after rain and it surely looks like stairways to heaven. I do have to stop looking or I will get myself killed in traffic - eeek! I've been to a beach in Belgium and had incredibly sticky mud/sand on my shoes, shivering against the icy wind, and wishing for something hot and warm. Ok. Off to see your flikr pics!
  10. Olivia 10:17 pm, August 29, 2006
    Brighton beach, pebbles, brown water, cold wind, grey clouds.

    Welcome to England! I am already feeling cold and can't warm up tonight!

    My great-great grandfather built half the piers on the south coast and Isle of Wight.
  11. panda_eyed 10:04 am, August 30, 2006
    Hey Nikki, that's what I thought too! 'Stairways to heaven' really sums it up. I love angry clouds, it's almost as though someone up there is having a strop :)

    Livvy, wow, that's quite an achievement! I wish I knew more about my greats. It's so cold today.. *shivers*

Something to say?