Sexual harassment goes unnoticed on Big Brother 7

By panda_eyed
Panda has been trying to be a good girl. She didn't blog at all during work yesterday and only a little bit today... It's a bid to try and get more done :

It's been a hot, sweaty, uncomfortable journey home from work these last few days. On the tube, the Metropolitan line has 20mph speed restrictions because of the heat and this means a one and a half hour journey of being trapped between sweaty, stinky people in 45 degree heat (no exaggeration). We're so crammed in that I don't even have to hold onto a rail not to fall over - if we all decided to take both our feet off the floor at the same time, we'd all still be in exactly the same place. Whinge whinge, moan moan - we Brits seem to do a lot of that about the weather, huh? Lol, it's our fave pasttime whether it be hot or cold :)

I wanted to talk about the Spiral/Aisleyne/Nakedness thing on Big Brother. For those of you who haven't been watching or aren't in the UK, it was like this:
Spiral was in the shower, naked; Aisleyne, also in the bathroom, playfully splashed some water on him; Spiral jumped out, holding his bits and backed Aisleyne into a corner.

She was obviously uncomfortable with it, and understandably so - surely, this is only a feather away from sexual harrassment? What annoyed me was that, upon being asked about it by Big Brother - Spiral got pissed off with Aisleyne for talking to BB about it! WTF?! He tried to defend himself by saying that she asked for it because she threw water on him. But he was in the shower for *@#?s sake! What's a little more water going to do??

To make it eeeeeven worse, when Aisleyne, in a mature way, tried to tell him that she wasn't comfortable with his behaviour, he told her that he didn't like the way she flaunted her body and wore short skirts, insinuating that if a girl likes to look good and wear sexy clothing, that she should expect to be treated this way. The arrogance of the b*@~#! not only does he not feel any remorse whatsoever, but how dare he justify his behaviour, and also shatter a girl's confidence in one swoop?! This type of thinking worries me hugely, because if this is the view of even a tiny percentage of the men out there, then us girls should all be covering up. It's a teensy little step away from saying that if you bare any skin, then it's okay for men to grope you, sexually harass you - a mere step away from rape.

I am surprised at BB for not giving him a warning - this behaviour is NOT socially acceptable and should not have to be tolerated. By not reprimanding him, they are telling their viewers that it's okay to behave like this, and it's not. Using your body or sexuality to intimidate and humiliate others is NOT okay.

Then, a couple of days later, whilst Aisleyne was sunbathing, Mikey comes up and bites her arse-cheek. This just confirms my fear that most men hold this derogatory and frankly, animal-like view of women. Please tell me I'm wrong.

I am only 23 years old. To this date, I have had to deal with sexual harrassment more times then I can count on one hand; a couple of cases of which have been quite serious. Am I wrong to be scared? And who's fault is it that this view is still widely held by men, if not openly then at least inside their heads? Is it the parents? Is it the media? What's for sure is that it needs to stop NOW.
 

25 comments so far.

  1. michelle 9:56 pm, July 18, 2006
    I have to say ewwwwwwwww sweaty peeps on hot train! ewwwwwwwwwww

    and sexual harrastment is everywhere, ever try giving them the treatment right back, I tell you they don't like it at all. Actually most of them turn into whiny lil rats.

    If some guy trys a stunt like that on me I go all uberB**ch on them.

    acutally never happened to me but to a friend, this french(quebecous)guy cam into the girls dorm naked, so we called the cops and charged him.
  2. michelle 9:59 pm, July 18, 2006
    and he had the nerve to say he never did that, four girls in one room???We all saw u idiot...we locked the doors and I was using a stool to kick his ass back into the mens dorm.

    The police said he couldn't charge me because I was protecting myself..

    he was stupid drunk at the time, but rules are rules and no one goes into someones room naked and tries to make moves on someone...
  3. Olivia 10:03 pm, July 18, 2006
    Thankfully, no guys has ever tried anything like that on me. Must be the signals I give out, coz by the same token, I've never been chatted up or asked out.
  4. Olivia 10:03 pm, July 18, 2006
    P.S. I don't watch BB, just catch a bit here or there...
  5. Anonymous 10:41 pm, July 18, 2006
    That is truly disgusting how he behaved, the TV standards people should reprimand channel 4 for lettng it go unchecked!
  6. Anonymous 9:35 am, July 19, 2006
    I dont watch it so I cant say much but would one act really shatter her confidence? It raises more questions like, was she strong enough in the first place to go into the house? is she just playing a game? Oh I dunno, the guy sounds a right Ass anyway. I dont think its a thing with men in general but more... people in the Big Brother house. Although most men are less than perfect, me... my hair is usually crap and on hot days like today I sweat, not like in hollywood (they never sweat, its something to do with them absorbing so much hot air!). But anyway what were we doing? oh "MEN BAD!" *throws up fist* "XY SCUM!" :P
  7. panda_eyed 10:10 am, July 19, 2006
    Jia, lol - respect for the stool-wielding uber-babe! I have to say, that image made me laugh!
    Glad you came out of that experience okay. Alcohol just seems to make things worse. How many rape cases have been quashed because the guy has claimed that the girl gave consent whilst drunk? It's awful.

    Livvy, you're lucky. I don't think I'm giving out signals that are any different to anyone else, but a couple of times, it has been guys who I thought were friends and trusted. That's the sad thing.

    Pieces, you're so right! The thing is though - it seems to have skipped everyone's notice, which is worrying. Is such behaviour generally accepted now? I hope not.

    udmja, It's not really abut her confidence being shattered, but the fact that this behaviour shouldn't be accepted. His view that it's okay is the most horrendous thing. It's not okay. I'm not trying to say that all men are b*****ds or that they would do anything given the chance, but the very fact that people think that a girl 'asks for it' is something that worries me a LOT. It's not just men that think that either - that's the scariest thing.
  8. panda_eyed 10:12 am, July 19, 2006
    I'm not a man-hater, honest - the opposite in fact. I'm sorry if I've come across as one, but this is just an issue which makes me maaAD.
  9. Anonymous 10:52 am, July 19, 2006
    Ooooh i have totally gone off that spiral or whatever his name is. I thought that he was totally out of order what he did when he was in the shower to Aislene. Then he was all like " oh well she should put some clothes on". Believe me this is not the end of it i reckon.
  10. panda_eyed 11:13 am, July 19, 2006
    Sunny, I'm glad you think so too. It seems another member of the public noticed Mikey's bum biting incident and got the police involved - they are going to speak to him about it. Shouldn't they speak to Spiral too? Mikey was an arse (no pun intended) for what he did, but at least he had the grace to sincerely apologise afterwards and didn't make any excuses for his behaviour. Whereas Spiral is a completely different story.
    Clickly for the story: http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.aspx?as=article&ae=windows-1252&f=pa_big_brother_7_-_ms&t=4635&id=3227530&d=20060719&do=http://newsbox.msn.co.uk&i=http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/mediaexportlive&ks=0&mc=10&ml=ma&lc=en
  11. panda_eyed 11:38 am, July 19, 2006
    That link didn't work, so hope this one does.. Click here
  12. michelle 2:58 pm, July 19, 2006
    I read the article, I guess it is up to her if she charges him or not, but I do think BB should do something about that
  13. Anonymous 3:16 pm, July 19, 2006
    Spiral was bang out of order but the man clearly has a mental problem, he lashes out at everything and claims that everything he does is justified, at least Mikey had the decency to apologise to Ash, but Spiral is demented as he fancies Ash and feels she should be the same back to him. He really has some awful issues and yeah he's an idiot for reacting the way he did with the water thing, as you say, he was already in the shower! Nags and I don't like him. I did suss there was something about him at the start but it's really come out now he's in the main house, but I reckon he'll be out very soon, well, after Jayne goes this Friday! Hurray! :oD xxxxxxxx
  14. panda_eyed 4:24 pm, July 19, 2006
    Jia, I agree, BB shouldn't take such a light view of the situation. They are setting an example after all.

    Deev, I can't wait for Jayne to go! I was praying for Spiral to be up too, and was disappointed.
    I thought it was so childish that he got all pissed off when Aisleyne wouldn't kiss him during spin the bottle, but didn't think he was this much of an a-hole. Hurray Jayne's eviction! In a way, I can't bear to watch it cos she's sooo irritating!
  15. Anonymous 4:28 pm, July 19, 2006
    Eurgh I hate Spiral and he was bang out of order for saying that to Ais. He's crazy that guy. He flies off the handle all the time at the most stupid of things!
  16. panda_eyed 4:37 pm, July 19, 2006
    Amy, and I hate it when he tries to talk about 'deep' things and thinks he's soo intelligent and knowledgable! Nghhh!
  17. Anonymous 4:56 pm, July 19, 2006
    I was just hungry!..
  18. Anonymous 4:57 pm, July 19, 2006
    I'm a bad bad bad boy
  19. panda_eyed 9:31 pm, July 19, 2006
    Mikey, I guess no one can blame you as there's no food in ther house at the mo'!
    Spiral, yep, you deserve to be punished.

    Sunshine, you silly sausage :)
  20. Olivia 10:20 pm, July 19, 2006
    Oh scandal! I wonder if this spells the end of BB.

    Sorry y'all, but I find that a relief...

    BB has become a monster social experiment worthy of ... well I won't say.
  21. Anonymous 4:36 pm, July 20, 2006
    I think that what he was trying to say is that she is allowed to be scantily dressed around him(she does almost show us everything), but when he larks about in the nude(covering his bits) then he's in the wrong.

    I understand where he's coming from exactly...a friend of mine was once bending over in the office, and his trousers accidentally slipped low enough for one of the girls in the office to see his builders crack. Later that day he was summoned into the main office, and was warned about this.

    I was totally incensed by their response and went to see the director who had given my friend a carpeting explaining that if they were going to take a stance such as that then why hadn't they warned this girl in the past when she had a list of similar 'offences'.

    She'd worn several skirts so high that it looked like she was only wearing a belt, she'd worn those yucky knickers that show above the skirt or trousers and her tops were sometimes so low cut that everone had regularly seen more than they should!

    It seems to me that if a girl in the BB house had bitten one of the lads bums then it would've been seen as just playful behaviour, but shock horror, because it was a man then it's harrasment or maybe even assault!

    Sounds like double standards to me!
  22. Anonymous 3:59 pm, July 21, 2006
    Sadly, I would have to admit that most men think like Spiral, even if they don't have the courage (or stupidity in his case) to say it out loud. It takes wisdom and maturity for a man to treat a woman properly, and sadly, this is lacking in a lot of people.

    Did you hear about the case in Big Brother Australia? Two men were thrown off, after they 'assaulted' a woman. One of them held her down while the other rubbed his groin in her face. Even their Prime Minister is asking for the show to be cancelled !! Check out the story here
  23. panda_eyed 5:02 pm, July 21, 2006
    Liv, I did hear somewhere that this is going to be the last BB. It's probably a good idea, it has run its course I think.

    Foxy, I understand that you're saying, but in this case, it wasn't like that at all. The problem is not indecent exposure, but unwanted sexual advancements, simply because a girl looks sexy. The case against your friend was extremely unfair though, i have to say.

    Boso, thanks for your honesty - most men wouldn't have dared to say that, and it is so true. I did hear of the Australia case - it was horrendous what happened, and I'm glad they didn't get away with it. I'm also glad it didn't go that far in this BB house.
  24. Anonymous 1:59 am, July 23, 2006
    I also watched that episode, but I didn't see it as unwanted sexual advancements. He was just reacting to her flicking water at him.

    I asked my gf what she thought, and she said that in her opinion it definately wasn't unwanted sexual advancements.

    Maybe some girls are just so hyper sensative in this post feminist age that they see monsters where there aren't any?
  25. panda_eyed 12:57 pm, July 24, 2006
    I don't think hypersensitivity is it. There is a problem with both men and women's attitude towards this type of behaviour. That was the point I was trying to make, using this case as an example. Whether or not, sexual advancements were made is beside the point - the point is that girls (and boys) are raped every single day, and people will always make excuses for it.

Something to say?