Yummy Mummies and The Innocence of Children

By panda_eyed
This morning, on my way to the tube station, I encountered a young woman with 2 children. She was pushing a little boy in a cumbersome buggy on which lots of bags were hung (I know that leaving the house with children requires a lot of stuff!). The little girl, who must have been about 4 or 5 years old, was trailing behind as little girls do, looking at the flowers, stopping to examine a ladybird, etc., whilst the YW seemed to be in a huge rush to get somewhere. She was wearing distinctively un-mummy-like clothes: tight white top (white and kids never mix!), tight cropped trousers, and a pair of ridiculously high, strappy white sandals (of the sort that there are so many little complicated straps, it makes you wonder how and how long it took her to get into them).

A few drops of rain began to fall, and YW began to rummage in one of the many bags, saying “Did I pick up the umbrella?” and chivvying the little girl, telling her to “Hurry, because it’s going rain hard very soon!”
The little girl replied “Why did you wear those then?”
YW snapped “I got it wrong okay?!”

That made me smile. Kids, eh? And I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets the weather wrong sometimes!

Still, that’s not as bad as the time my little nephew (son of my cousin) pointed at my little Buddha belly and said (in front of many people) “Have you got a baby in there?” It made me laugh and want to die at the same time!

Kids, you’ve gotta love ‘em!

I wonder what I’ll be like as a mummy, and if I’ll be able to keep my identity as a young woman after I have children. Still, that ‘Yummy Mummy’ this morning could have been the nanny, I suppose! Hmm.
 

1 comment so far.

  1. panda_eyed 1:57 pm, May 10, 2006
    She shoulda done what my mummy did and hung me up on the washing line - see my profile pic. Still, spinning around on the whirlygig was terribly fun :)

Something to say?